例：Stand over there ___________ you’ll be able to see it better.
A. or B. and C. but D. while
1.—I guess you want to go play tennis.
—___________. That’s exactly what I was thinking too.
A. I didn’t get it B. It’s up to you
C. You never know D. You read my mind
2. I ___________ to send Peter a gift to congratulate him on his marriage， but I couldn’t manage it.
A. had hoped B. am hoping C. have hoped D. would hope
3. A study shows the students who are engaged in after-school activities are happier than ___________ who are not.
A. ones B. those C. these D. them
4. ___________ to think critically is an important skill today’s children will need for the future.
A. Learn B. Learned C. Learning D. Having learned
5. ___________ all the problems， several of the players produced excellent performances.
A. According to B. Instead of C. In addition to D. In spite of
6. —My son got a full scholarship to his dream university！
—Wow， ___________！ What’s he going to study？
A. good for him B. go for it C. what a coincidence D. all the best
7. We can observe that artificial intelligence has already made a(n) ___________ on our lives in many ways.
A. statement B. impact C. impression D. judgment
8. Amy， as well as her brothers， ____________ a warm welcome when returning to the village last week.
A. is given B. are given C. was given D. were given
9. Kate heard a man’s voice in the background， but she couldn’t ___________ what he was saying.
A. set aside B. take back C. make out D. keep off
10. Most colleges now offer first-year students a course specially ___________ to help them succeed academically and personally.
A. designed B. designing C. to design D. being designed
11. Their child is at the stage ___________ she can say individual words but not full sentences.
A. why B. where C. which D. what
12. The professor warned the students that on no account ___________ use mobile phones in his class.
A. should they B. they should C. dare they D. they dare
13. Tom is so independent that he never asks his parents’ opinion ___________ he wants their support.
A. since B. once C. unless D. after
14. The workers were not better organized， otherwise they ___________ the task in half the time.
A. accomplished B. had accomplished
C. would accomplish D. would have accomplished
15. A dog’s eating habit requires regular training before it is ___________ established.
A. properly B. widely C. originally D. temporarily
I was ready to pay for my bananas at the grocery one night， when fear seized me. My wallet was gone. I could only have left it on the G9 bus， which was now speeding in the dark to some 16 station.
The 17 moment was quickly followed by mental math. How much time and money would it cost to replace the 18 of that little wallet？ The credit cards， the driver’s license， the cash， all lost to the bus.
Two hours later， back at my house， I heard a knock on the door. My husband 19 it while I was on the phone in the dining room. “Does Jennifer live here？” I heard a lady say. In my husband’s hand was my wallet， with not a penny 20 . She left before I could 21 make it to the door to offer my thanks.
After sharing the story online， I heard from someone， who 22 the lady as Erin Smith. Without 23 ， I called to thank her. She said she 24 my wallet on a bus seat. She 25 that going to a stranger’s house was a 26 move， but she decided to take the chance. “If I were in that 27 . I would want someone to try to find me，” she said.
This one stranger responded beautifully to my small 28 ， but she actually wasn’t the only one. Right after Erin 29 my wallet on the bus， she posted a picture of my driver’s license to an online forum（论坛）， trying to see 30 anyone knew me. No sooner did she leave my doorstep than I had emails from two women whose kids go to my son’s nursery and who recognized my face. I’ve never 31 words with those moms beyond small tall， but they wanted to help. I read that people are more divided than ever， but that’s not how the people I 32 tend to act.
33 ， I feel blessed someone had wanted to help a stranger. Erin had gone 34 what almost anyone would have done， finding my house on a bitterly cold night， and for that I was extremely 35 .
16. A. accessible B. hidden C. unknown D. convenient
17. A. face-saving B. brain-washing C. eye-catching D. heart-stopping
18. A. parts B. contents C. details D. ingredients
19. A. ignored B. answered C. examined D. interrupted
20. A. missing B. returned C. remaining D. abandoned
21. A. still B. ever C. yet D. even
22. A. selected B. appointed C. identified D. defined
23. A. delay B. alarm C. regret D. invitation
24. A. moved B. placed C. opened D. spotted
25. A. disagreed B. complained C. calculated D. recommended
26. A. selfless B. risky C. slow D. personal
27. A. site B. direction C. situation D. atmosphere
28. A. crisis B. danger C. threat D. failure
29. A. got rid of B. made use of C. had control of D. took possession of
30. A. if B. where C. how D. when
31. A. recalled B. exchanged C. repeated D. whispered
32. A. encounter B. follow C. consult D. accompany
33. A. Going away B. Turning around C. Looking back D. Coming along
34. A. into B. against C. over D. beyond
35. A. longing B. enthusiastic C. concerned D. grateful