第 I 卷
第一节：单项填空（共 15小题；每小题 1 分，满分 15 分）
从 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。
例：Stand over there ___________ you ’ll be able to see it better.
A. or B. and C. but D. while
1. Jim says we ______ stay in his house as long as we leave it clean and tidy.
A. must B. can C. need D. should
2. —You are a great swimmer.
—Thanks. It ’s because I ______ a lot these days.
A. have been practising B. was practising C. would practise D. had
3. —Next time you visit Bob， remember to give him a call in advance.
—______. I will.
A. My pleasure B. No wonder C. Good point D. Never mind
4. ______ us prepare for the exam， the teacher suggested reading through our notes.
A. To help B. Helped C. Helping D. Being helped
5. —Shall I order a taxi for Sarah to go to the airport tonight？
—______. I ’ll drive her there.
A. Have a try B. Don ’t mention itC. Don ’t bother D. Go ahead
6. Dr. Rowan， ______ secretary resigned two weeks ago， has had to do all his own typing.
A. whose B. of whom C. of which D. which
7. According to Professor Johnson， we don’t have to read the book if we don’t want to， as it is
A. worthwhile B. necessary C. optional D. serious
8. I never worried about my son while I was away because my mother ______ him.
A. drank a toast to B. played a joke on C. kept an eye on D. made an apology to
9. The number of medical schools reached 18 in the early 1990s and ______ around that level ever
A. are remaining B. have remained C. is remaining D. has remained
10. —Why do people like pop music？ I hate it so much.
—______ it is not your style， that doesn ’t mean it is bad.
A. Only if B. Even though C. Now that D. In case
11. We offered to give Sharon a ride home， but she ______， saying that she felt like walking.
A. understood B. accepted C. compromised D. declined
12. For my fifth birthday， my mother baked me a cake ______ a monkey.
A. in the shape of B. beyond the reach of C. at the mercy of D. on the side
13. We can ’t ______ buying a new printer for our company. The one we have doesn ’t work.
A. take up B. carry out C. keep on D. put off
14. The dancer ’s incredible performance had the audience on its feet ______ for 10 minutes at the
end of the show.
A. being clapped B. clap C. clapped D. clapping
15. The student completed this experiment to make come true ______ Professor Joseph had said.
A. that B. what C. when D. where
第二节：完形填空（共 20小题；每小题 1.5 分，满分 30 分）
阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从 16~35各题所给的 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出最
Detective Ashley Jones works at a police department in England. He has recently made a
significant 16 —loneliness is a serious social problem that can contribute to depression and even
crimes， but it can be 17 in a clever way. The 18 ？ Chat benches.
Jones got the idea after he had talked with an elderly lady who had been cheated of her 19 . The
lady would get a call from a stranger every morning who 20 made her believe that he was her
friend， and then she lent him about ￡ 31，000. Jones was 21 when she said that she didn ’t actually
22 being cheated. “Otherwise， I would never speak to another person for weeks on end， ” she
This led Jones to the conclusion that there are too many extremely 23 people in his
community， who are easy targets of cheating. So he 24 to do something about it. He 25 the
police department to allow him to 26 a couple of “chat benches ” in two of their local parks . Then
he hung a colorful sign on each of the benches that 27 ：“HAPPY TO CHAT”. Just a few days after
the signs went up， he found people sitting there and engaging in active and 28 conversations.